Leadership

When I was young, my parents, as well as other influential adults in my life would always tell me that I was a LEADER. "How did I become a LEADER?" was always my first thought, followed by "I don't want that type of pressure." This agitated my father especially because he could see the potential I possessed and knew that the possibilities would be endless for anything that I put total focus into. Over time I formed the opinion that LEADERS are born. A person can be trained in LEADERSHIP, but only natural-born LEADERS have all the necessary tools from the beginning. As with any talent or gift, LEADERSHIP has to be groomed and the traits cultivated, but a LEADER is who they are, not what they have learned. Their charisma is the reason followers grasp their message and take ownership of their vision. It takes determination, confidence, the ability to motivate, as well as charisma to truly become a great LEADER. After reading a book titled "Leadership By The Book" I am thoroughly convinced that a servant LEADERSHIP approach is most effective. Servant LEADERS understand that helping those they LEAD achieve their goals is vital to growth. The authors of the book stated that a LEADER should explain the task, demonstrate it, let the task be attempted, and either praise progress or redirect focus depending on results. It is the obligation of the LEADER to provide followers with the necessary tools for success. A true LEADER should strive to help create LEADERSHIP qualities in those they LEAD.

No comments:

Post a Comment