Part 1 of 3 "Why Are You Still Crying?: There's Work To Be Done

If you're anything like me, it takes a lot to truly get you down. I've learned to take many things in stride by understanding that God knows all and, His will is more important than my own. That doesn't mean that I don't find myself disappointed when I make plans that do not fall into place. Sometimes I tend to forget that "Planning Life Without Considering Life's Plan For Me" typically leads to a dead end. I've always loved the Serenity Prayer,  especially the beginning, "God grant me the serenity to accept the the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference." We too often worry about things we have no control over and allow them to hinder us from moving on. We let the hurt caused by the actions of others to depress us, or allow the disappointment of not getting a promotion to discourage us from doing our best. We cannot be held hostage by our "feelings." After Saul was rejected as king of Israel, the Prophet Samuel mourned to the point God had to ask him, "How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king" (1 Samuel 16:1 NIV). Even Samuel had to be reminded that there was still work to be done! If you've ever experienced heartbreak, disappointment, discouragement, etc then you know that it can affect every aspect of your life if you let it. We can miss out on greater plans that God has for us if we can't relinquish past disappointments. God sent Samuel to annoint David as king to replace Saul. Yes, the same David that killed Goliath, was considered a man after God's own heart, and would produce the bloodline that Jesus would eventually be born of! What a consolation prize that ended up being! So, regardless of what situation you are recovering from, sit down and ask yourself: Why Are You Still Crying? There's Work To Be Done.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Jonathan. This post is so true and inspiring. I like the line,
    "Planning life without considering life's plan for me." Sometimes we cry because our plan did not work out, when God had a better one for us all the time if we had allowed Him to unfold it in His way and time.
    Thank you again.
    I'm looking forward to Parts 2 & 3.

    Blessings to you. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete