BUT as for ME and MY house.....

In honor of today, I want to wish every FATHER a Happy Father's Day! I truly consider it a blessing and honor for God to have entrusted me with a son to raise and mold into the gentleman that He has called him to be. God chose fathers to be spiritual leaders, providers, a sense of security, enforcers, and examples of a gentleman (for sons and daughters). As head of the household, we are responsible for "setting the tone" of the family. It is our duty to set expectations and hold the family accountable for carrying them out. I personally, take the stance of Joshua as the title would suggest, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15 NIV). This was the law growing up in my home. After growing into an adult and seeking God for myself, I have taken the same stance. As the head of my family (current and soon to be), I have established a Bible Study and prayer routine with my fiancee that includes fasting on Sundays. I pray over my son everyday that he is with me and for him on the days he is not. I have to be the example I expect him to follow. I am a firm believer in making sure that a child has, even when the parents do not. Because of this, I go ABCD (Above and Beyond the Call of Duty) to make sure my son has EVERYTHING he needs. Obedience is also very important to me, so I established a distinction between my serious and playful tone at a young age. I wanted him to be assured of my intentions when I spoke to him. It really bothers me to see children who are disobedient and throw tantrums in public. Honestly, I want to spank the child AND their parents LOL! It is also my duty to enforce whatever his mother has established. I want her to respect the expectations I place on him; therefore, I do the same. From the day I found out I had a child on the way, I made a vow to be the man I wanted a son to be, and the man I wanted a daughter to look for. With that being said I decided to never bring a woman around him that I couldn't see being a permanent fixture in his life. I also try to make sure that he never sees me disrespect a woman, regardless of the situation. I don't want him to grow up thinking that it is okay. I want him to understand chivalry, compassion, respect, being thoughtful, etc. These are the characteristics that come to mind when I describe a gentleman and the way I want my son to be seen. I can't control the way that other fathers lead their families, BUT as for ME and MY house.........

No comments:

Post a Comment