Unwilling To Go Back AND Afraid of What Lies Ahead

Have you ever come to a point in your life where you can clearly look back and see the progress you've made, but when you look ahead you see nothing but uncertainty staring back at you? You know that you refuse or can't go back to where you've come from, but you're not quite sure where to go next. I have been in that situation many times. One of the most recent times was when I graduated college. It is easy to answer questions about "what are you doing with your life?" when we can respond "I'm in school," but what about when we graduate and have to start a career path and have to sink or swim. When I first graduated school, I went to Dallas for a couple months to train for the NFL Pro Day in hopes of continuing my football career. When it became evident that that was not what God had planned for me, I had to turn my attention elsewhere. I had no clue as to where I was headed, but I did know two things: I had a son depending on me to take care of him and that I was not a student in college anymore. There were decisions that had to be made and fast. I thought about the story of Jacob in the Bible. Jacob, whose name meant "Trickster," had fled his homeland because his brother, Esau, was out to kill him because of his wicked ways. He found himself at his Uncle Laban's home and fell in love with his daughter. After various altercations with Laban, Jacob took his bride and decided to return home. While on his journey, he learned that Esau was headed his way along with 200 soldiers looking for him. He was terrified! He was visited by an angel as he slept that night. He wrestled with the angel all night out of desperation, telling the angel "I will not let thee go, except thou bless me"(Genesis 32:26). The angel had to dislocate Jacob's hip to break free because Jacob's will was so strong. The angel then asked him for his name. He told the angel that his name was Jacob (Trickster) and the angel responded with Genesis 32:28, "And he said, Your name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince has thou power with God and with men, and has prevailed." It took being in a place of desperation for Jacob to act in a way that he had not previously been willing to. He had to realize who he was (what his name meant) to put himself in a position for God to make him the father of His Chosen People, the nation of Israel. For me, I fasted and prayed about what my next move would be. I have chosen to work towards drawing closer to God and have seen the results. My music production company, Icon Beats/Icon Music Entertainment (www.iconbeats.com) has began to flourish. We have been working with The University of Southern Mississippi by creating the game day anthem for the third consecutive year. I have also excelled at my current place of employment, being selected to take part in an internal training video based on sales performance. I know that God has many extraordinary things in store for me and I plan to receive each and every one of them. The progress I've made in life is evident, and even though I still have no idea of my final destination, I know God does.

*This year's song, GOLDEN EAGLE PRIDE, can be purchased through iTunes, along with GOLDEN EAGLE PRIDE:THE ALBUM, which is a compilation of game day anthems from years past.

No comments:

Post a Comment